Did You Know?...
10 Healthy Back Tips
1. Exercise Regularly- This does not have to be anything overly strenuous. Something as simple as a daily walk can make a huge difference.
2. Eat A Healthy Diet- Proper nutrients allow the body to repair itself easier
3. Maintain Good Posture- Are you sitting up straight as you read this?
4. Stretch Your Spine Before And After Sports- This will also help to loosen up the surrounding muscles.
5. Don't Overload Your Backpack Or Purse- Remember to carry it over both shoulders to balance the load (if possible).
6. Stretch Your Legs And Back After Each Hour Of Sitting- Whether in a car or at a desk, stretching regularly will help to keep you from tightening up or injuring yourself further.
7. Never Cradle The Phone Between Your Neck And Shoulder
8. Sleep On Your back Or Side, Not On Your Stomach- This helps to keep your spine in line and reduces the risk of hurting your neck while you sleep.
9. Invest In A Good Chair, Pillow And Mattress- When you think about the amount of time you use these things each day, it's worth it.
10. Have Regular Spinal Check-Ups- It's much easier to prevent a problem than to correct one.
Here are some interesting tidbits to make your life easier and more interesting...
- Milk chocolate was invented by Daniel Peter, who sold the concept to his neighbor Henri Nestle.
- An ounce of chocolate contains about 20 mg of caffeine. TIP is the acronym for "To Insure Promptness."
- Melba toast is named after Australian opera singer Dame Nellie Melba (1861-1931).
- To make one kilo of honey bees have to visit 4 million flowers, traveling a distance equal to 4 times around the earth.
- Bananas are the world's most popular fruit after tomatoes. In western countries, they could account for 3% of a grocer's total sales.
- Bananas consistently are the number one compliant of grocery shoppers. Most people complain when bananas are overripe or even freckled. The fact is that spotted bananas are sweeter, with a sugar content of more than 20%, compared with 3% in a green banana.
- Approximately 44 million tons of bananas are produced annually, compared to more than 60 million tomatoes. Apples are the third most popular (36 million tons), then oranges (34 million tons) and watermelons (22 million tons).
- The can opener was invented 48 years after cans were introduced. Over the last 40 years food production actually increased faster than population.
- Approximately one billion snails are served in restaurants annually. In the 1950's some 80% of chickens in Europe and the US were free-ranging. By 1980, it was only 1%. Today, about 13% of chickens in the West are free-ranging.
- An onion, apple and potato all have the same taste. The differences in flavor are caused by their smell.
- Americans eat twice as much meat as Europeans, gobbling up some 50kg (110 lb) per capita.
- Pepsi-Cola was invented by Caleb Bradham in 1890 as "Brad's Drink" as a digestive aid and energy booster. In was renamed as Pepsi-Cola in 1989.
- Plastic bottles were first used for soft drinks in 1970.
- China uses 45 billion chopsticks per year. 25 million trees are chopped down to make 'em sticks.
- It is impossible to lick your elbow.
- Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their hair.
- Coca-Cola was originally green.
- In every episode of Seinfeld there is a Superman somewhere.
- Wearing headphones for just an hour will increase the bacteria in your ear by 700 times.
- More than 50% of the people in the world have never made or received a telephone call.
- The "sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick" is said to be the toughest tongue twister in the English language.
- 13% of Americans actually believe that some parts of the moon are made of cheese...yummy
- The world's youngest parents were 8 and 9 and lived in China in 1910.
- If you could count the number of times a cricket chirps in one minute, divide by 2, add 9 and divide by 2 again, you would have the correct temperature in celcius degrees... How do they know that?
- Fish that live more than 800 meters below the ocean surface don't have eyes.
- Hydrogen is an explosive gas. Oxygen supports combustion. Yet when these are combined it is water which is used to put out fires.
- If a statue in the park of a person on a horse has both front legs in the air, the person died in battle; if the horse has one front leg in the air, the person died as a result of wounds received in battle; if the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural causes.
- Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite.
- No piece of square dry paper can be folded in half more than 7 times
- "Stewardesses" is the longest word typed with only the left hand.
- The sentence "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" uses every letter in the English language.
- Mexico City sinks about 10 inches a year
- It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open? Next time you feel a sneeze coming try it!
- Los Angeles' full name is "El Pueblo de Nuestra Senora la Reina de los Angeles de Porciuncula". In English this means 'The City of Angels'
Hope you enjoyed it. Our tidbits of news and info to make your life easier and more fun, so you're healthy all the time!
back to top